Bak Kut Teh is one of Singapore’s most beloved dished. I made the teochew style one this time and it is peppery, flavourful, appetizing and very comforting. I don’t understand why people here only uses premixes as this is actually very easy to cook. The ingredients are simple and thermos makes the cooking even easier than it already was. I promise that you will never have to buy premixes again after you try this recipe! 😛
- 1L chicken stock
- 12 chicken feet
- 600g prime ribs
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bulbs garlic
- 1 can of mushrooms
- You may wish to blanch your chicken feet and ribs if you want. Some people prefer not doing it for more flavour.
- Toast peppercorns in a dry pan over low heat until it “jumps”.
- Lightly crack the pepper and set aside.
- Place garlic, pepper, cinnamon stick and star anise in a herb bag.
- In a 3L thermos, bring chicken stock to boil and add in ribs, chicken feet and herb bag.
- Transfer to outer pot and set aside for at least 8 hours. For a thicker and more flavourful soup, i cooked mine in thermos for about 16 hours, reheating every 8 hours. The end result is extremely thick and yummy.
- Remove chicken feet with a strainer, add in mushrooms and season with salt before serving. Garnish with coriander.