I am very very excited to pen down this recipe! As anyone who knows me, chicken rice is not only my favourite food, it is also my signature dish! I have always cooked my chicken using the residual heat method, and as i thought about it, isn’t thermos the perfect tool that uses the same principle? I tried a couple of times before i got to this recipe, and i can say that i’ve nailed it! I was blown away by how tender, juicy and smooth the chicken was, it was absolutely perfect! All you need is about 5mins on the stove and 30 minutes in thermos for the most tender, juicy and perfect hainanese style chicken. When paired with fragrant chicken rice and an addictive sauce that is spicy, sour, sweet and tangy, i am in food heaven! 😋😍😘
You may use the same method for hainanese chicken rice. The only difference between Thai and Hainanese chicken rice, is the dipping sauce and the use of fried garlic in the thai version of rice. I also froze the remaining braising liquid from cooking the chicken rice, in smaller portions. I can just defrost and cook chicken rice easily to make dishes like char siew rice, chicken cutlet rice, grilled honey chicken rice, bbq chicken rice etc.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 –3)
- Soup and Chicken
- 1 Litre of homemade collagen chicken stock
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp hua diao wine
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- About 4 slices of ginger
- 2 large chicken legs
- 2 tbsp chicken / duck fat
- About 6 – 8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- About 5 slices of ginger
- 1 cup fragrant rice
- 1 cup chicken stock + a small splash (stock from cooking the chicken legs)
- Pandan leaves, knotted
- Dipping Sauce
- 1 – 3 chilli padi. to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp gula melaka syrup
- 2 tbsp coarsely grounded peanuts
- Juice from 1 large lime
- 2 tbsp tamarind sauce
- 2.5 tbsp fish sauce
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Handful of mint leaves
- In a 3L thermos, bring chicken stock and seasonings to boil on medium heat.
- Add in chicken legs and bring to boil again. Once it is boiling, place the lid over the pot.
- Continue cooking over the stove for 5 – 7 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
- Transfer to outer pot and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken legs and reserve to cooking liquid to cook rice.
- Heat up chicken/duck fat, fry chopped garlic in it until golden and crispy.
- Using the chicken fat, fry ginger until fragrant. Add in rice and fry until opaque. Add in all other ingredients for the chicken rice as well as the crispy garlic.
- Cook rice as per usual.
- Combine all ingredients for dipping sauce.
- Debone and cut chicken. Serve over chicken rice and top with dipping sauce, cucumbers and coriander.