Finally learnt to cook our country’s signature dish! I had so much fun making my own spice paste and sauce. The result is literally finger-licking good! It’s definitely the best chilli crab I’ve had and i am so proud of it! This is one of Singapore’s most iconic dishes and it is a must-try for everyone who visits here. However, almost everyone and everywhere choose to take the easy way out and use premix sauces, some even just use the combination of bottled ketchup and chilli and sugar only. If you ever when to try making this dish, you MUST make your own spice paste (rempah) and sauce. It may be tedious but you will not regret it after tasting it! Now that i have mastered this dish, i think it is an awesome dish to host guests with. Pairing the sauce with some crispy fried mantou was simply amazing!!!
I used flower crabs as i haven’t got to the point where i can kill mud crabs yet but the result is just as good! Ben just kept telling me how sweet and tender the crab meat was. A dish that would cost a big bomb when ordered at restaurants, only cost us $11 and we were so full and satisfied from this epic dinner.
Recipe adapted from themeatmen.
- 3 flower crabs or 2 mud crabs, cleaned and cut
- 2 tbsp belachan
- 5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Taucheo (fermented bean paste)
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Garnish: spring onions and coriander
- Mini mantou buns
- Rempah (spice paste)
- 6 shallots
- 8 garlic
- 10 dried chillies (soaked)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 chili padi
- 6 candle nuts
- 1 small – medium galangal
- Juice from 1 large lime
- Blend all ingredients for the rempah until smooth.
- In a dry pan, toast belachan until fragrant.
- Add in all of the spice paste and a generous amount of oil. Fry until very fragrant.
- Add in crabs and mix well.
- Pour in water, and all the sauces and seasonings.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer for about 8-10 minutes until crabs are red and cooked.
- Pour in beaten egg, wait for about 1 minute before mixing.
- Deep fry mantou until golden and crispy. It is a perfect side to dip the sauce with!
- Garnish before serving.