This is one of my favourite dishes that i came up with a long time ago. I used to cook it with frozen popcorn chicken. You can still use that for convenience but i decided to try cooking it with freshly battered chicken this time. The result earned me two thumbs up from Benny! He was in love with this dish! Orange oil is a traditional teochew condiment. It is sweet with a beautiful fragrance of madarin oranges. If you manage to get your hands on this, you gotta try cooking this dish!
- 1 large chicken leg diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chilli padi, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Spring onions, cut into 1cm long
- 6 tbsp orange oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch Salt
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Marinade chicken in some salt and pepper.
- Dip in the batter and fry until golden brown.
- Combine orange oil and soy sauce, set aside.
- In a hot wok, saute garlic, chilli and onions until fragrant.
- Add in coriander. Mix well.
- Add in the sauce mixture. Fry briefly until the sauce is bubbly.
- Add in chicken and spring onions. Toss until chicken is evenly coated.