This is one of Ben’s favourite local food of all time! He always complains about the chicken being tough, chewy and greasy when we eat out so I specially learnt how to cook it for him myself! He absolutely loved It!! Golden battered chicken coated with fragrant and crispy cereal, yums! This is a sure crowd-pleaser, young or old, the whole dish, including all of the cereal will definitely be wiped out!
The original dish is made with prawns so you may substitute the chicken with fried prawns. You just have to deep fry prawns with the shells on, and toss it in the cereal mixture.
- 300g chicken thigh, remove the bones and cut in medium cubes
- Marinade chicken in 1/2 tsp salt and some pepper
- 50g butter
- Big handful of curry leaves
- 2 chilli padi, chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp sugar
- 1 cup nestum multi grain cereal
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch Salt
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Marinade chicken in salt and pepper while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Mix batter until smooth and add in chicken and coat well.
- Heat oil and fry chicken until golden and crispy. Dish up and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add in curry leaves and chilli and fry until fragrant.
- Add in sugar and mix well. Fry briefly.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cereal. Mix and fry until cereal is toasted golden and crispy.
- Add in chicken and toss until combined.
- Serve immediately.