By Benny’s request, his favourite Salted Egg Squid! On Singapore’s birthday, this is a true blue Singaporean dish that is worthy of a foodgasm! It’s creamy, buttery, crispy and super addictive! The original dish is actually made with prawns, but since my fussy hubby hates prawns and loves squid and anything made with salted egg custard, I modified the dish into something he LOVES! What surprised me was how crispy it stayed, even though we ate quite slowly. Nothing is more disgusting than a greasy and soggy mess. The batter was light and extremely crispy while evenly coated with the salted egg sauce. He absolutely loved every bit of this dish and we ended up cleaning out the plate, including the crispy curry leaves :p
- 1 large squid, cut
- 200g tempura flour + 320ml cold water
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 chilli padi, chopped
- Handful of curry leaves
- 5 tbsp Knorrs salted egg powder
- Mix up tempura batter, place squid in it and mix well.
- Heat up enough oil for deep frying. Fry squid until golden and crispy.
- Dish up onto paper towels.
- Melt butter over medium low heat and fry chilli and curry leaves until fragrant.
- Turn heat down to the lowest possible.
- Add in salted egg powder and mix until you get a creamy sauce.
- Add in squid and toss well until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.