I have been wanting to start making Japanese rice bowls for awhile now. It is fast, very easy and a perfect dinner on my long busy days. I want to be able to whip up a hot meal quickly on days that we work late. My first try would be the famous oyakadon aka mother and son bowl! It was silky smooth and very yummy! I am very encouraged and looking forward to making all sorts of rice bowls for Ben now!
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 3 boneless chicken thigh, cubed
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 3 – 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp dashi /chicken stock
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Yolk, as topping (optional)
- In a small wok, pour in soy sauce, mirin, stock and sugar. Mix well and bring to boil.
- Add in chicken and onions and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Pour eggs all over evenly.
- Very gently, mix lightly so the eggs get cooked evenly.
- For a smoother result, turn off heat when eggs are still a little undercooked.
- Pour over steamed short grain rice.
- Add a yolk as a topping and garnish with spring onions and nori.