Ben is a big fan of indian food so i am always eager to learn new dishes for him. This is a rather iconic indian dish! I have made this a long time ago using premix jars and i have to admit that it was awful! That made me think that butter chicken is not a nice dish at all. I totally changed my mind now as it tastes like a completely different dish when i cooked this whole dish from scratch. It’s butterey, cream, tangy and is a perfect match to the rice.
Recipe adapted from The Meatmen.
- 3 – 4 boneless chicken legs, sliced
- 1 cup yogurt
- 5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tsp lime/lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 100g butter
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup cooking cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Handful of coriander
- Marinade chicken for a few hours or overnight.
- Blend tomatoes and onions until you get a smooth paste.
- In a hot skillet, melt butter and saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add in tomato and onion paste. Fry until fragrant.
- Add in tomato paste and mix well.
- Add in chilli powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture is very thick.
- Add in chicken, marinade, chicken stock and cream.
- Mix well and bring to boil.
- Simmer until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Add in coriander in the last few minutes and season with more salt to taste