It’s been almost a year since the last time i made a chiffon cake. I had the sudden craving for it last night so promptly made a fresh bake this morning. This time, im equipped with my awesome blender, so i decided to make my own pandan juice. I’ve always thought that it is troublesome to make fresh juice but i am so wrong! It is quick, easy and yields a aromatic cake that is naturally flavoured by fresh pandan leaves.
I adjusted the baking temperature and this is the first time that the cake did not crack at all. This can’t be more encouraging for me and I cannot wait for us to finish this cake so that i can bake another one! ❤
Recipe adapted from jeannietay.
- 150g Cake flour
- 1.5 tsp double acting baking powder (or 2 tsp baking powder)
- 105g coconut oil
- 120g pandan juice
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste
- 30g santan (coconut milk)
- 5 large egg yolks (65g egg with shell)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 150g caster sugar
- To make pandan juice, blend 6 pandan leaves with 150ml water. Squeeze out the juice.
- Whisk yolks, coconut oil, pandan juice and coconut milk.
- Combine flour with baking powder and salt and sift into yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and add in cream of tartar.
- Add in sugar while beating eggs, a spoonful at a time.
- Beat egg whites until glossy firm peak stage.
- Fold in meringue into yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time until well combined
- Slowly pour batter into a chiffon tube pan
- Bake in a preheated oven at 155-160deg for 70-80minutes.
- Cool completely before unmoulding