Ben has been asking for this dish for awhile now. My previous method of cooking this is quite tedious and I have been trying to make an easier version of this without compromising on the taste. This is easy to prepare and the result is very delicious! Gooey melted cheese over rice layered with a homemade cream of chicken sauce. I am definitely going to make this more often now with this awesome recipe 😀
- 190g diced bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- Knob of butter
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup mixed vegetables
- 4 tbsp flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream
- Your favourite herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Your preferred cheese, i used pepper jack and cheddar
- Short grain rice, cooked
- In a hot pan, fry bacon until brown and crisp.
- Add in garlic and onions and saute until fragrant.
- Melt butter and add in mushrooms. Add in vegetables when mushrooms are lightly brown.
- Add in flour and mix well. Pour in stock and cream and season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer until sauce is very thick. (about 10-15mins)
- In a baking dish, spoon sauce and spread over the bottom.
- Spoon rice over the sauce and repeat, ending with a sauce layer on top.
- Top with a generous amount of cheese
- Bake in a hot oven at 200deg for 15 mins. It was still not brown by then so i turned on the grill and baked for a further 8 minutes until golden brown.