When i saw a few beautiful pieces of pork knuckles at the market, i immediately bagged one home even though i had no idea how to cook this dish at all. I have always been a big fan of pork knuckles but Ben always says no to it when we dine out and it is so expensive at Brotzeit. There is no way that i would order it just for myself. After eating the one i cooked the other day, Ben fell in love at the first bite and the first thing he said was “can you please cook this for me once a month?”. I was so touched when i heard that, i never expected him to love it this much.
I am not sure if i made this the authentic way, but i don’t really care as it was perfect to us! The skin was super super crispy and to die for, the meat was juicy and tender, and the apples complimented it beautifully!
- 1 large pork knuckle, about 1.3kg
- Dry rub: salt, pepper and caraway seeds
- Apples, peeled and sliced
- Rub salt, pepper and caraway seeds over pork knuckle. Leave in the fridge overnight, uncovered.
- Lay apples over baking dish. Pour beer into the dish.
- Place pork knuckle over apples.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180deg for one hour.
- Remove dish from oven, prick holes all over the skin of the knuckle.
- Return to oven and bake for one more hour.
- Increase temperature to 220deg and bake for 20minutes.
- If your skin has not crackled yet, i turned off the bottom heat and turned on the grill and roasted until the skin is crispy and crackled.