This has been on my to-cook list for a looong time and i am so glad that i finally got down to making it. It kept us well fed for a few days as this dish can be transformed into several different dishes, all equally yummy! It might be a little tedious to make, but it is definitely worth the effort. I opted to make the plain version this time as Ben has just been to the dentist, i wanted to keep things plain for him for now. I will add mushrooms, dried shrimps and sausages to this recipe the next time, to make the dim sum version of radish cake.
Recipe adapted from ancoojournal.
- 800g radish, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g water
- Flour mixture: 300g rice flour, 50g tapioca flour or wheat starch, 2 tsp salt, 600g water
- Mix grated radish with 1 tsp salt and set aside for about 20 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
- Mix all ingredients for flour mixture together. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour 400g of water in a wok. Bring to boil.
- Add in radish and cook for about 5mins on medium low heat.
- Slowly pour flour mixture into the wok while stirring. Mix until mixture is a thickened paste.
- Transfer batter into a greased cake tin.
- Steam over high heat for 1 hour.
- You may cut into slices or stick, dust with rice flour and pan fry until golden. You may also cut into cubes and make fried carrot cake, recipe link is provided above.