What’s better than a Pizza is a folded up pizza with oozing filings! Ben is a big lover of pizzas and this is his favourite! I’ve been wanting to cook this for a long time but never had the courage to. It seems so difficult, i am proud that I’ve finally tried it! I had so much fun making everything from the dough, to the marinara sauce and fillings. It is sooo yummylicious! The dough was slightly crisp, The fillings was flavourful and oozing out as you bite into it. Ben says he loves this more than pizza now! I love my marinara sauce cooked from fresh tomatoes, not bottled or canned crap. It’s actually very easy and simple to make your own sauce, stay away from bottled pasta sauces!
Click for: Pizza Dough Recipe
Click for: Fresh Tomato Marinara Sauce Recipe
Ingredients: (Makes 4 small Calzones)
- About 6 strips of bacon, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- About 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- Homemade marinara sauce
- Homemade pizza dough
- Your favourite cheeses, i used gouda and cheddar
- Heat some olive oil and fry bacon until lightly brown.
- Add in onion, mushrooms and chillies. Fry for a couple minutes until mushroom starts to turn soft.
- Add in water and simmer until mushrooms are cooked.
- Add in about 2 scoops of marinara sauce. Fry for a few minutes until sauce is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Dish up and set aside to cool completely.
- Divide pizza dough into 100g portions. My recipe above makes 4 portions (400g dough in total)
- Roll dough into balls and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes after taking out from bread machine.
- Flatten dough and roll into a circle.
- Spoon some fillings onto the dough, top with parmesan and your favourite cheeses. Fold over and seal by crimping the edges.
- Brush with egg wash. You may spoon some marinara sauce over the calzone before baking. That is how Italians eat it originally.
- Bake in a preheated, very hot oven, at 250 deg, for 15 minutes. I turned on my grill and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden.
- Serve with marinara sauce as a dip.