We passed by Din Tai Fung the other day and I saw this dish on the menu, it is one of their most popular dishes which is very much raved about. It’s called 小菜, basically an appetizer which is a noodle salad with asian flavours. I knew that i had to try to replicate this dish and add in my own flavours! My finished product was sour, spicy, a lil sweet and salty. It has a perfect combination of flavours and textures which is very yummy and appetizing. I was absolutely addicted to this dish on my first bite! The kelp is the star of this dish for me as it adds sucha nice bite to the dish. This is a recipe that is quick and easy to prepare as it is basically a cold dish that is not cooked. It is definitely a great starter, but it was so good that i ate it as a main 🙂
- 100g sweet potato vermecilli
- Kelp (aka Kombu)
- Handful of bean sprouts
- Spring onions, chopped
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, cut in thin strips
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Chilli oil, to taste
- Cook kelp in boiling water for about 25-30mins. Drain and let it cool before cutting into strips.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for about 5mins until cooked. I dropped the bean sprouts in together in the last 30secs.
- Drain noodles and soak in cold water while you prepare other ingredients.
- Drain noodles. Combine with all the other vegetables and mix well.
- Pour in sauces and toss until well combined.