I have made this previously when i first started this blog a couple of years ago. I made a simple version that is commonly sold as an instant food from the supermarket or food places. Now that i have learnt alot more new cooking techniques, I am trying to make a more gourmet version. Looking at the finished product, I just realised how much i have grew and learnt as a cook. This is what i love about cooking. I am always excited to learn and try new things, techniques and dishes, and constantly trying to perfect each dish i make. It motivates and fills up my everyday with so much joy. I guess I truly have a passion for cooking and baking!
Now, back to my dish, i was inspired by my recipe for bakzhang (dumplings), so i tried to cook the rice in a similar fashion with shallot oil. The result is absolutely pefect! The rice was extremely fragrant and flacourful, the chicken was tender and everything paired so well together. If you are tired of the usual plain version, give this “gourmet” version a try!
Ingredients: (this is a small recipe for 2-3, you may wish to double this recipe)
- 200g white glutinous rice (soaked overnight)
- 4 shitake mushrooms (soaked overnight)
- about 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 2 large chicken thighs, deboned and sliced in thick slices
- 150ml chicken stock
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
- 2tbsp thick dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- Dash of pepper
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- Remove stems from shitake mushrooms and set aside
- Marinate chicken with 1tbsp soy sauce.
- Heat about 3tbsp of corn oil, fry shallots until golden and crispy. Dish up the shallots and set aside. Leave the oil in the wok.
- Fry mushrooms in the oil until soft. Set aside.
- Fry the chicken and brown both sides, it should be undercooked. Set aside.
- Leaving the shallot oil and pan juices from the chicken in the pan, heat up the oil and add in rice.
- Fry briefly and when rice is opaque, add in sauces, seasonings and chicken stock.
- Cook over medium heat and allow rice to absorb all the liquid.
- In a small bowl, place 1 mushroom, egg and some chicken at the bottom. Fill the bowl with rice and pack firmly.
- Steam over high heat for about 25-30minutes.
- Serve with your freshly made crispy shallots.