This is a dish that has been on my to-cook list for the longest time! (Yes, i literally have a to-cook list!) However, i have not been able to as i don’t have a paella pan. When i saw a deep stone skillet that was on sale, Paella became the perfect excuse to buy it! The skillet/wokpan is seriously the best one i have ever used! Well, back to my paella, i looooooove it! It is fragrant, colourful and full of flavour. I could not find chorizo so i improvised my own verson with bacon. This is a seriously yummy dish that is surprisingly easy to make. A perfect one dish meal if you want to impress!
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 strips bacon, sliced
- 1 large chicken leg, deboned and cut in big pieces
- 185g basmati rice
- 300-310ml chicken stock (depending on amount veggies used)
- Pinch of saffron, soaked in 2tbsp of hot water
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped coriander or parsley and lemon wedges
- Place bacon in a cold, dry pan and cook over low heat. Toast bacon until brown and crispy. Dish up and leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil in the pan. Saute onions and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in chicken and brown both sides.
- Add in basmati rice and fry until it is opaque.
- Pour in chicken stock and cook over medium heat.
- When stock is reduced to a very small amount (almost none), pour in saffron water and mix in turmeric.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in red pepper and mixed vegetables. Toss well.
- Cover the lid, reduce heat to medium low and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and leave the lid on, undisturbed for another 15minutes.
- Top with coriander, toasted bacon and serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice.