I have always loooooved Teochew Braised duck served with yam rice since young. Finally, i remembered to buy yam this week, so the first thing i was gonna cook is yam rice. It was quite impractical for me to braise a whole or even half a duck as there was no way we were gonna finish it. I thought of doing something fusion, serving fragrant yam rice with juicy pan seared duck breast! It was simple, easy, and super yummy. One breast per serving, very convenient! Anyways, the rice was absolutely divine and is perfect when served with duck! I can’t believe how my random recipe i cam up with in my head can create sucha close replica to my childhood flavours, and wayyy better! The rice is super fragrant from the shallot infused oil, sweet yam and the different sauces. You can easily add a protein to the rice itself, and it will be a delicious one pot wonder 😀
Click for: Juicy Duck Breast Recipe
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 cup yam, cut in short, thick strips
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp thick dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- Dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- Pandan leaves, tied in a bunch
- Heat about 2-3tbsp of oil in a wok and add in shallots.
- When shallots is lightly golden, add in yam and garlic and fry until yam is browned.
- Add in rice and fry briefly until slightly opaque.
- Add in sauces and seasoning. Toss until combined.
- Transfer rice into a pot/rice cooker. Pour in chicken stock and mix well. Place pandan leaves in the pot.
- Cook rice as per normal.
- Best served with duck, cucumber and chilli.
PS: You may add in cubed protein of your choice and fry it after the yam is browned. You may also add in some shitake mushrooms and/or dried shrimps. Follow the rest of the recipe and you get a one pot dish 🙂