A friend of mine have been wanting to make this and tried recently and failed. So i thought I would give it a shot and see if i can come up with a recipe to help him. I made this once a long time ago and it was quite yummy, but unfortunately, Ben did not like it as it was not crispy enough. This time i was determined to make a super crispy rosti with a soft delicious center. I am so happy i succeeded! Thee are a ton of recipes online with many different types of method. I love my method as it really yields the perfect texture that i am after. Instead of grating the potatoes, i cut my potatoes into thin strips. This saves me the trouble of squeezing the water out of grated potatoes since potatoes releases alot of liquid when grated.
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a pan. Form patties with your mixture and pan fry until very lightly brown in some spots.
- Flip and do the same on the other side.
- Transfer patties into a baking tray lined with aluminum foil brushed with oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes at 210deg.
- Take the tray out and flip patties onto a cooling rack. Return to oven for another 10-15minutes until golden and crispy. You may just flip and not use a cooling rack if you do not have one.
PS: You may do the entire dish in a fry pan and not use the oven if you wish. The oven method just makes a crispier rosti with a soft center that is evenly cooked.