This is a very popular dish not only in Singapore, but also in Australia when we were living there. No matter where we are, despite slight variations, this is always a dish that is cooked with a tomato and ketchupy sauce. Unfortunately , Ben hates that type of sauce and therefore, i have not been able to eat this dish, which is one of my favourites for a long time! Now that I have been making our own noodles at home, it has motivated me to make Mee Goreng that Ben is gonna love! That is what inspired to make this wet and black style of Mee goreng that turned out super yummy and had Ben cleaning out his plate! I hope you can give this version a shot and perhaps you won’t go back to the usual ones!
- About 260g homemade yellow noodles (enough to serve 2)
- 1 medium squid, sliced
- About 8 prawns, peeled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large red onion, cut into squares
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut into 8s (I used halved cherry tomatoes)
- 4 bunch baby bak choy
- 1 tbsp sambal chilli
- 1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce/ ketchup
- 2 tsp sugar (I will try and replace sugar with 1/2 tbsp kecap manis next time for a sweeter dish. I think it will taste similar to the 2minute mee goreng noodles. Will update when i try it out!)
- 1/2 cup water
- Lime and sambal belachan chilli, to serve
- Cook noodles in boiling water for about 2 -2.5 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Fry eggs and make scrambled eggs, set aside.
- Fry prawns and squid until just cooked. Set aside.
- In a hot wok, heat oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add in onions and fry briefly.
- Add in tomatoes and fry until tomatoes start to soften.
- Add in all sauces, seasoning and sugar. When sauce starts to bubble, add in 1/2 cup of water.
- When sauce starts to thicken slightly, add in bak choy.
- When bak choy starts to wilt, Add in noodles, eggs, prawns and squid, toss until well combined.
- Serve with freshly squeezed lime juice and sambal belachan.
Click for: Homemade Yellow Noodles