There has been a craze in Singapore lately where people would queue up for a few hours for hokkaido cheese tarts. If that is not crazy enough, you can even pay people to queue up for you! Ben and I absolutely hate queuing and we cannot understand why Singaporeans loves to queue so much. I would rather have some fun in my kitchen baking these little beauties, putting all my love in them.
I am extremely proud on how beautiful they turned out. the crust was buttery and crumbly, the filling is this beautiful gooey cheese custard that is absolutely delicious! You have to try this for yourself to understand what made people stand in a queue in humid Singapore for a few hours.
Recipe adapted from Dreamersloft 🙂
Ingredients: (Makes 24)
- Tart Shell Pastry (5cm top, 3cm base)
- 200g cake flour
- 40g icing sugar
- 100g cold butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp milk
- Cheese Custard Filling
- 150g cream cheese
- 50g mascarpone cheese
- 20g parmesan cheese
- 30g salted butter
- 100g milk
- 30g icing sugar
- 10-11g corn flour (more for a stiffer filling)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- To make pastry, combine cake flour and icing sugar in a bowl. Toss cubed butter in the mixture.
- Rub with your fingers until your mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in 2 egg yolks and mix well. Form a dough with your hands. Add in milk and knead dough into a ball.
- Wrap in cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To prepare custard, place cream cheese, mascarpone, parmesan, butter and milk over a double boiler.
- When mixture has melted, sift in icing sugar and corn flour. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add in 1 full egg and whisk. Add in vinegar, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Set custard aside to cool.
- Roll pastry into desired thickness and press into tart tins.
- Prick holes with a fork in the tart shells. Bake in a preheated oven at 180deg in a fan forced oven for 10mins until it is lightly golden.
- Cool pastry slightly and remove from tart tins. Cool completely.
- Pipe custard into tart shells. Glaze with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 230deg fan forced for 6 minutes.
- Cool slightly, best served slightly warm, freshly baked from the oven