I love burritos, I love cheesy stuff, i love crispy stuff, and that is why i looooove chimichangas! Basically a fried burrito filled with moist chicken pieces, vegetables, cheese and spices, we had a very satisfying dinner! I know i am supposed to deep fry this to make it authentic but why the extra calories when you can enjoy the same crispy and delicious dish by frying it in the oven? I swear this is super crispy and yummy and you have to try making this for yourself. You will be super impressed with yourself, like i was with myself today 😀
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Half of a large green capsicum, diced
- 250g chicken fillets (aka chicken tenderloins), diced in big cubes
- Mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Pinch of chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- About 75g of cheese (i used mozzarella and cheddar)
- Tortilla wraps
- In a frying pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onions. Add in capsicums, mushrooms if you are using and fry until capsicums are just cooked , garlic and onions are caramelised.
- Make a hole in the centre and add in chicken pieces.
- Add in seasoning and spices and lightly brown the chicken. Do not overcook or your chicken will be dry.
- Mix well. Dish up and set aside to cool. Mix in cheese once it’s cooled.
- Heat up tortillas lightly until it’s soft.
- Spoon a couple of tablespoons of fillings onto the tortilla and wrap into a parcel. You may brush with egg wash or water to seal if you are afraid it might open up.
- Heat up a pan with some olive oil and panfry tortilla parcels until lightly brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking tray and bake at 200deg for about 15 minutes until puffed, golden and crispy.
- Best served with condiments like salsa, guacamole etc. I used salsa and tzatziki sauce. You may refer to my recipe here for the salsa: Homemade Salsa