This is another dish Chef John has inspired me to bake. It has been years since i baked scones and Ben has been asking for it. I was abit hesitant about my rusty skills as scones are notorious for being rock hard when not made well. My worries were for nothing as this was absolutely delicious! It was crisp on the outside, while moist, soft and fluffy on the inside! I will definitely bake this all the time from now!
Recipe adapted from Foodwishes.
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 110g cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup milk
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Add in cold butter and rub into dry ingredients with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in blueberries and toss well.
- Add in milk and use a fork to mix until batter just comes together.
- Transfer to table and use your hands to “mush” the batter into a rectangle.
- Use a bench scraper to do a tri fold and form a rectangle.
- Cut rectangle into 8 triangles and place on a baking tray. Glaze with egg wash.
- Bake at 220deg for about 25 minutes until golden.