This dish is specially created for my darling Ben! He loves this traditional teochew orange oil which is also my Ah Ma’s favourite and it inspired me to do more dishes with it. I was raised by Ah Ma so alot of her favourite food is also mine. One of those stuff is 金橘油 or as we teochews call it, “gek yew”, which means mandarin oil. It is a sweet sauce that has the beautiful fragrance of mandarin oranges. Ah ma will always serve it as a dipping sauce with heaps of different stuff like squid, hotdogs, poached chicken, broccoli etc. It made anything plain tastes beautiful and that it why my fusspot Ben fell in love with it. I was very proud when i took my first bite of this dish. It was so freaking good that I think it is easily one of my best recipes ever! And what’s better is that this is quite healthy as the chicken is air fried and it was very easy to make. You have to give this dish a try and taste it for yourself!
- Popcorn chicken enough for 2 (I chose to use frozen popcorn chicken as i wanted to air fry instead of deepfrying. You may make your own deepfried battered chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- Spring onions, cut into 1cm long
- 6 tbsp orange oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Toss frozen popcorn chicken in olive oil. Air fry at 220deg for about 15minutes (vary according to brand of air fryer.)
- Combine orange oil and soy sauce, set aside.
- In a hot wok, saute garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Add in coriander and chilies. Mix well.
- Add in the sauce mixture. Fry briefly until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Add in chicken and spring onions. Toss until chicken is evenly coated.