After my post on pasta sauce, it inspired me to learn other types of pasta. The next thing that came to mind was the ever popular carbonara! I have always thought that carbonara is white and creamy with lotsa cream sauce. I only recently found out that authentic Italian carbonara is made with a few simple ingredients, and is creamy without the use of any cream. This recipe is very easy and simple, but also very delicious! I don’t know how people can eat the cream loaded bottled crap that they sell in stores!
- 6 handfuls of spiral pasta, or any other types.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 strips of bacon , cut in pieces (about 2/3 cups)
- 1 egg + 3 egg yolks
- 1-2tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- about 2 tbsp pasta water
- Knob of butter
- Cook pasta in boiling water for about 11 minutes until al dente. Reserve some pasta water.
- Prepare the sauce while pasta cooks. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, salt pepper and cheese.
- In a hot pan, heat olive oil and cook bacon on medium high heat until brown.
- Turn off the heat and let the bacon cool, until it stops sizzling.
- Add in hot pasta, pasta water and oregano and mix well.
- Pour egg sauce all over while mixing. Add in a knob of butter to cream the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Top with some parmesan and chilli powder if desired.