Ever since i’ve started to make my own pasta sauce, i’ve never looked back! Never again would i buy bottled pasta sauce! Making your own sauce is not only easy, we use the freshest ingredients and to our liking. I was telling Ben that there wouldn’t be much difference to eating out if we used bottled sauces for convenience. This recipe is the result of watching many cooking shows, and a couple years of me tweaking around with the quantities and different types of ingredients. The little tips and tricks i learnt here and there from tv, seeing how real italians make their pasta sauces has really helped me. Finally, i have a recipe that i am happy to pen down with. This sauce is fresh, light, at the same time slightly creamy in taste, not too thick but not too runny! Give this easy recipe a shot and you will never need to buy pasta sauce again! Even my fussy Ben gave this a thumbs up, it’s really good!
- 6 handfuls of spiral pasta or any other types
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 300g minced beef
- 170g/6oz pure tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 small carrot, diced or cut in strips
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup fresh milk (you may use all chicken stock only but milk gives this sauce a slightly creamy flavour)
- 2 tsp herbs (i used oregano and rosemary)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- knob of butter
- Cook pasta in boiling water for about 11mins until al dente. Drain but set aside 1tbsp of reserve pasta water.
- In a hot pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add in mince beef and lightly brown.
- Add in tomato paste and mix well, followed by tomatoes and carrots.
- Add in chicken stock and milk. Bring to boil. Mix in herbs.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10mins until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn to medium heat and add in pasta and reserved water. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add in a knob of butter to cream up the sauce.
- You may top with shredded cheese and bake slightly until cheese is melted (optional).