I never believed i would say this but Ben and i love aglio olio! We have always been big lovers of “saucy” food so this dish has never really sparked any interest in us. So much so that we have never really had it before. It looks so plain and bland, but boy! Looks can be deceiving! Lightly crisp bacon bits, golden garlic infused olive oil, tomatoes and oregano, this tastes absolutely amazing! As long as you cook the garlic properly, this is a quick, hassle free meal that is a winner in taste. You can use this basic method to make into your favourite variations and with your favourite toppings. Ben does not like seafood so this one is a perfect combination for my love.
- 180g of spiral pasta, or any type of pasta to serve 2
- 2 1/2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 – 10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 6 strips bacon, cut in smaller pieces
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 small scoop reserve pasta water
- about 1 tsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- knob of butter, about 10g
- Chilli, chopped or, chilli flakes/powder (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add in pasta and cook for about 8 minutes until al dente, drain and set aside. Reserve 1 small scoop of pasta water.
- In a hot pan, heat oil on medium heat and add in bacon. Add in garlic when bacon is brown. When garlic is lightly brown, turn off fire and garlic will continue to cook in the oil until golden brown.
- Add in pasta and butter, chopped chillies and tomatoes.
- Turn on heat again to medium low. Pour in reserve pasta water. Toss pasta until butter is melted and pasta water is absorbed. This should take only a couple of minutes.
- Mix well and add in oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.