The only kind of fish that Ben would eat is battered fish! I have not been able to make this dish for years since I no longer deep fry any kind of food at home. We used to have a deep fryer in Australia and it was the worst appliance to own. Because it was so convenient to deepfry food, we did it all the time! Ben and i had a deal to never deep fry food at home. As delicious as it may be, it’s so unhealthy that it defeats the purpose of me cooking everyday. That’s why i have been making fried food in the air fryer or occasionally panfried. I have not been too successful in making battered fish as it always seem to turn out soggy. Until today! Finally, i have a nice crispy batter that is not deepfried! I am so happy that i can make Ben his favourite fish and chips at home now 🙂
- Halibut fish fillets, 4 small slices
- Oil, for frying
- 75g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml of cold beer or soda water
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk all ingredients except for oil and fish in a mixing bowl until you get a smooth batter.
- Pat dry fish. Coat in batter and let excess batter drip off.
- Pan fry in oil until golden before flipping over.
- Rest on a rack to let excess oil drip off.
Serve with some tartar sauce, lemon and chips for fish & chips, or serve with some plum sauce and coriander for an asian style fish dish.