Baking is truly addictive! I was gonna bake a cake for my sister’s birthday and I am in search of a versatile recipe for a chiffon cake that i can modify into many different flavours. I baked 6 cakes before finally coming up with this recipe that is pretty perfect for me! It is tall, delicate, fine, soft and fluffy. It was tiring but it is so much fun and definitely worth it. You can easily substitute the mango yogurt drink in this recipe for your favourite drink (eg. yuzu, strawberry, berries etc) and get a perfect chiffon cake ❤
Ingredients: for a 21cm chiffon tube pan
- 5 egg yolks
- 20g caster sugar
- 110ml mango yogurt drink
- 1 tsp mango flavour
- 100g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80ml corn oil
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 60g caster sugar
- Whisk egg yolks with 20g sugar well.
- Add in mango drink and flavour. Whisk well.
- Add in sifted cake flour and baking powder in 3 batches. Fully incorporate the flour into the batter before adding the next batch.
- Whisk oil into the batter until smooth.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar.
- Add sugar into the whites, a spoonful at a time. Whisk until stiff peaks. Do not over beat.
- Gently fold meringue into yolk batter in 3 batches. Stop when batter is evenly folded. Bang the bowl on the table to rid of air bubbles.
- Slowly pour batter into an ungreased cake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170deg for 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and score 6 lines (if you have a very hot oven)
- Return to ove, reduce heat to 150deg and bake for another 20-25 mins. (total bake time: 35-40mins)
- Invert onto cooling rack immediately after removing from the oven.
- Tip: if you place a wet towel over the cake tin, in front of a standing fan, you can unmould in 30mins.