One of Ben’s favourite food is this cheesey yummy dish! I don;t cook this often enough when this is his favourite dish. But at least i managed to make it in time to wrap up my cooking for 2015! This dish is layered by homemade cheese sauce and bolognese sauce. Ben loves how it’s cheesy and creamy but yet not too rich, it was just nice! I enjoyed the dinner as much as he did. As i was eating, i was feeling so contented when i thought of how simple things like a homecooked dinner can make us so happy, smiling at each other. It sure has been a great year, and I hope that it can only get better 😀
- Lagsana sheets, soaked
- 300g mince beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in strips
- Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup chicken/beef stock
- 3/4-1 cup fresh milk/ evaporated milk
- 170g tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- knob of butter
- 2tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 125g cheddar cheese
- Heat oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add in beef and lightly brown. Add in mushrooms and carrots.
- Add in tomato paste and tomatoes, mix well. Add in chicken stock and bring to boil. Pour in milk and bring to boil again.
- Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper, and cream the sauce with a knob of butter
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter and add in flour, mix well. Pour in milk and whisk on low heat until thickened. Add in cheese and whisk until you get a smooth mixture.
- In a large baking dish, alternate layers of meat sauce, cheese sauce and lagsana sheets. End with a cheese layer.
- Top with some grated cheddar if you want a slightly crisp top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180deg for about 40mins. Turn on the grill to brown the cheese for about 10 minutes.
- Cool for about 30mins before cutting and serving.