This is really an achievement unlocked for me! Not only have i never made a swiss roll in my life before, I attempted the harder chocolate swiss roll which was alot harder than the normal vanilla ones. T My very first log cake is the result of my perseverance. I baked 4 chocolate swiss rolls in the last 24 hours as the first two failed and i had to work. But it was very much worth the effort as i enjoyed the whole process (okay, i admit i was very tired by the time i had to bake cake no.3). Nonetheless, i am extremely happy that i succeeded. This cake will be for my mom and ah ma. Will be baking another one in a few days for Ben. I wish our mom, dad and aunt in England is here, and I can make them a Xmas feast. I hope they feel our love from here ❤
The first two cake that failed was using Kitchentigress’s recipe. I know it is a popular recipe but it just didn’t work for me. I changed to using 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 recipe. I got to know about it from smallsmallbaker.blogspot.sg. My chocolate ganache recipe is adapted from thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com.
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 40g hot water
- 3 egg yolks (60g)
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g corn oil
- 30g milk
- 75g cake flour
- 3 egg whites (120g) + 65g caster sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream + 4bsp sugar + 1 tbsp skimmed milk powder – whipped till stiff
- Line and grease a 12″x 12″ swiss roll pan with baking paper
- Dissolve cocoa powder in hot water until you get a smooth mixture.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Add in oil and milk into yolks. Mix well.
- Add in Chocolate mixture.
- Sift and add in cake flour.
- Whisk egg whites on med-high until you get a thick foam. Add in 65g sugar and conitnue whisk until stiff peaks. Reduce speed to low towards the end.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate batter in 3 batches.
- Bake in a preheated oven at about 175 deg for 12 minutes. Parchment paper should come off the cake easily at the sides when its ready.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread whipped cream evenly on the cake and roll gently with the aid of baking paper.
- Melt 180g of semisweet chocolate with 1/4 cup of evaporated milk and 28g of butter in a double boiler. When completely melted and smooth, add in 1 to 1 1/4 cup icing suagr. Mix until smooth.
- Frost the cake while ganache is slightly warm.