I have tried frying bee hoon (rice vermicelli) a few times now but have not been able to get the right texture. It annoys me as i loooove been hoon! If you do not know what bee hoon is, an easy way to explain is it’s the asian angel hair pasta, it’s fine, light and not starchy. I am so happy that I’ve finally made the perfect bee hoon today! Turns out the trick is to use hot boiling water. I feel silly now haha.. I am still craving for this dish now as I am typing this, and I have already decided to make this for chinese new year to bring to my mom’s house; it’s that good! And what is even better that this is a quick one dish meal that saved my night after a long day at work. I have to jot this recipe down so I won’t forget. The good thing about this recipe is that i will fry the popular pig trotters bee hoon 猪脚米粉 exactly the same way 🙂 A note as well, is that i used the much thicker bee hoon meant for fish head bee hoon soup. It has a much better bite and tastes amazing fried this way.
- 1/2 pack thick bee hoon (soak in water until soft)
- 1 carrot, cut in strips
- 3 bunch baby bak choy
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can of stewed pork slices, roughly cut (you can use the gravy in the can, its veryyyy oily)
- 1-2 tsp mushroom powder
- Plenty of ground black pepper
- About 3 tbsp light soy sauce, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Hot boiling water
- Chillies, spring onions and fried shallots, to garnish
- Heat oil in hot wok and fry garlic until fragrant.
- Drain bee hoon and add into wok, along with carrots. Add in gravy from the pork slices if you are using it. Mix well.
- Add in hot boiling water, just enough to cover half of the bee hoon. Bring to boil on high heat and cover the wok.
- When the water is reduced to a small amount, add in stewed pork, bak choy and mix. Add in all seasoning and sauces and mix well.
- When The water is reduced to almost none and bee hoon looks sticky, cover the wok over high heat for about 30 secs and turn off the fire.
- Let the bee hoon sit in the wok covered for about 10 minutes before opening the lid.
- Garnish and serve with sambal belachan and green chillies.