This is definitely what we call chinese comfort food. It is fairly easy to make and tastes great, it is one of the kind of dishes everyone in Singapore grew up with. Chestnuts is not usually used in this dish but it goes very well in the sauce. I added it in because Ben is a huge fan of chestnuts. I did not add shitake mushrooms as we don’t really like it but it is a must-have if you want to make this dish authentic.
- 2 chicken legs, chopped on the bone
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced
- 200g-300g chestnuts
- Shitake mushrooms, soaked and softened
- 2tbsp corn starch mixed with 2tbsp water
- 2 tbsp hua diao wine
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- black pepper
- Marinate chicken in all the sauces and seasoning (item 7-13) for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add in chicken pieces and marinate. Fry until skin is lightly brown.
- Add in water, just enough to cover most of the chicken
- Bring to boil, add in mushrooms and chestnuts. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- Pour in corn starch water mixture and thicken