I was really happy with my how my cheese bread turned out the other day that I am in abit of a hyped up mode for bread at the moment. I wanted to make something special for Ben and what’s better than English muffins for an English man? This is a rather easy recipe adapted from dim cookguide. I cannot believe how nice it turned out, as I was really worried it won’t be cooked properly and i might screw up the dough. Ben says mcdonald’s taste horrible and he loves mine! I’m ecstatic that i succeeded! I’m even more happy that Ben loves them :))
This recipe yields 6 English muffins.
- 1 1/2 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 300g bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 160ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- Corn flour, to dust
- Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water and let it stand until foamy.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, egg and milk in a large bowl an mix well. Add yeast into the mixture and mix to form a dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface to knead or knead in a mixer with a dough hook. Wrap in butter if you are kneading by hand, continue to knead. If using a mixer, add in butter when dough is just about smooth.
- Knead until smooth, elastic and not sticky.
- Cover and let it rise for 1.5 – 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Gently roll out the dough and form into a long roll. Cut into 6 equal portions.
- Gently form 6 balls, shaping with sides of your palm. Cover loosely with cling wrap and let it rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Dust counter with corn flour lightly and very gently flatten the balls into a semi flat circular bun. Dust with corn flour.
- Dry toast in a ungreased pan on low heat until both sides are golden.
- Slice muffins in half and toast in a lightly greased pan until insides are nice and toasted.
- Serve with your favourite ingredients!