Ben has a tooth infection, again! I was thinking of some soft foods i can make him and was running out of ideas. Bread is a great idea but i have failed so many times at making them, i have lost count. Bread is the worst thing in the world I bake. I was looking through this blog and saw and remembered one of the few breads that came out beautiful. This is a halved recipe so its perfect for us. I also tweaked the recipe a lil, and it was perfect. It’s cheesy , soft and goes beautifully with butter when it is warm.
If you are like me, scared of making breads, this is a fool proof recipe anyone can make. This recipe yields 12 muffin sized bread rolls.
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/8 cup caster sugar
- 40g butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated
- Dissolve 1 tbsp sugar in lukewarm water. Sprinkle yeast over the water and let it rest till foamy.
- Add sugar, salt and butter into the yeast mixture. Add in flour slowly while mixing, followed by egg yolk. The dough will be very sticky.
- Fold in cheese into the dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let it rise for an hour until double in size.
- Punch down the dough and gently mix. Fill into a well greased muffin pan, about half full for each hole.
- Cover loosely with cling wrap and let it rise for about 30mins- 1 hour until each dough is doubled in size.
- Glaze generously and bake in a preheated oven at 200deg for about 12 minutes. When a stick comes out clean when inserted in the centre, it’s ready. If the top is not nicely browned and golden, turn on the top grill and let it brown for about 2-3mins.