I have actually never tried this dish before. Frankly, besides kimchi, i have never had any Korean food before. I have been seeing this beautiful, colourful and attractive dish alot and it does really look like something we would like. It has been on my “to-cook-list” for a long time now. After having this for dinner, my only regret is not making this sooner!
Please pardon my not-so-authentic recipe but it is easy and very yummy! I replaced the short grain rice with basmati as i ran out of the short ones. I also cooked it in chicken stock rather than water for more flavour. If you want to use short grain rice, please use 1:1.25 ratio for rice:water. I used bottled bibimbap sauce but you can make your own, i have seen many easy recipes online. You may also change the meat and vegetables according to your liking.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- About 250g pork shabu shabu meat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp teriyaki marinate
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Spring Onions, chopped
- 2 sunny side ups
- Place rice and chicken stock in rice cooker to cook. Make holes in the rice and pour in sesame oil. Mix well.
- Heat oil in hot wok and add in onions.
- When onions are semi translucent, add in pork. Brown for about 3 minutes and add in the sauces. Fry till cooked.
- Thinly cut all the vegetables.
- With rice at the bottom, Place sunny side up, vegetables and meat on top of hot steamy rice, as well as bibimbap sauce. I used about 3 tbsp of sauce for my bowl, about 2 tbsp for Ben.