This was my birthday breakfast i planned but silly me froze the carrot cake i needed by mistake. So i made up for it by making it another day. Ben asked what was for lunch and i said carrot cake. When he saw what’s on the table when I am done, he was in shock. I am sure he wasnt prepared for this kind of carrot cake, hehe. I did not know if he would like the black or white one so i made both for him to try. Turns out we both like the black one so it will save me heaps of effort next time =)
This is a simpler recipe, and you can choose to use the carrot cake sold in markets that comes in a roll or you can make your own with my precious recipe.
- About 450g carrot cake, cut in cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3tbsp of chai por (preserved radish)
- Soy sauce, to taste (only if chai po is not very salty)
- 3 eggs beaten
- Spring onions & coriander, to garnish
- Sweet black sauce (kecap manis), to taste – only for black version
- 1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce – for black version
- Sambal (optional)
- Heat oil in a hot wok and add in garlic and chai por. Fry till fragrant.
- Add in carrot cake and fry till lightly brown, prevent over stirring as you will end up having mashed cake
- Add soy sauce to taste, you will not need much as chai por is salty
- Add in sambal if you are having it, I did not add any as Ben cant take it
- Pour egg over the carrot cake evenly. flip when one side is browning
- For the black version, add in sweet black sauce. I like mine very black so i add about 4 tbsp. You can add bit by bit to your desired sweetness
- Garnish with spring onions and coriander and ready to serve.