I absolutely love Popeye’s cajun rice (with heaps of green chilies and soy sauce). I was tired one night and refuse to buy takeaway and i am pretty sick of having fried frice. This is one easy recipe you can whip up on a busy night and you still can enjoy a nice homecooked meal that takes only maybe 20mins to prepare.
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 4 strips bacon, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup + 50ml more chicken stock
- 50g butter (can use more or less to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a hot wok and add in bacon bits. Lightly brown the bacon.
- Add in garlic and onion and fry until fragrant.
- Add uncooked rice and fry briefly until opaque.
- Add in vegetables and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock and transfer to rice cooker and cook as usual.
- Garnish with spring onions. Serve with green chilies and some soy sauce.
Note: My water ratio is for basmati rice as that is the only rice we eat. You will probably need lesser water if you are using normal rice.