It has been 3 years since my last post! I really cannot believe it! It had been a rollercoaster ride for us and it had kept me from blogging. It has taken alot of courage for me to start again and i hope it will be a journey i can share with everyone. My adventures in the kitchen, cooking and baking for the people i love. Even though I have not blogged for years. I have never stopped loving to cook and bake. It is still my passion, a therapeutic experience, and one of the only things that i truely enjoy doing. So the number 1 thing that Benny has been bugging me to bake is Apple Pie, his all time favourite dessert. What better post to kickstart my virtual love kitchen? ❤
This pie crust recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart (which i must say is HEAVENLY) and my own apple filling recipe. I will never try another crust pastry again as this one is soooooooooo good; buttery, flaky, and melts in your mouth.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
225g cold butter, cubed
1/4 + 1/8 cup ice water
Method for crust:
1. Mix flour salt sugar
2. Mix butter and flour in food processor till it resembles bread crumbs
3. Feed water while food processor is on, slowly
4. Remove from processor, divide into two balls, one slightly bigger than the other.
5. Wrap in plastic, flatten into disc
6. Chill for one hour
1/2 cup sugar
Cinnamon powder, to taste
8-10 granny smiths, peeled and sliced
1. Melt butter and sugar
2. Add in apples and cinnamon
3. Cook for 10mins till apples are soft
1. Preheat oven to 180deg
2. Remove crust dough from fridge, roll and press into pie tin, chill for 30 mins
3. Roll smaller disc flat, wrap with baking paper, chill for 30mins
4. Remove doughs from fridge. Fill pie with fillings. Cover and seal withe the flattened pastry.
5. Brush with egg wash
6. Bake for 55mins till golden
Serve with Vanilla ice cream and enjoy!