When i came up with this easy recipe, I have very limited ingredients available. I guess the real challenge in cooking and baking is when you have very little ingredients in your pantry and you are faced with a budget constraint. However, as long as you are not very picky and you try to use your creativity, I believe there is still many delectable dishes you can whip up using the simplest, most basic and cheapest ingredients.
There is no kneading involved in this easy recipe; just mix, stir and bake! The result is a chessy fluffy bread roll that is full of flavour. You can have it for any meal of the day, just pair it up with different stuffs, you can have it for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner!
No-Knead Cheddar Cheese Bread Roll Recipe (yields about 2 dozen rolls)
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 sachets active dry yeast
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup margerine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups tasty cheddar cheese, grated
- Dissolve 2 tbsp sugar in the warm water and sprinkle yeast over the mixture. Leave to rest till foamy.
- Add sugar, salt, margerine into the yeast mixture. Add in flour gradually while mixing the batter with a pair of chopsticks, followed by an egg. Mix the batter till smooth. The result will be wetter than a dough, but drier than a batter.
- Stir in grated cheese till well combined.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let the batter rise for an hour till double in size.
- Punch down the batter and gently mix. Fill a greased muffin pan till each hole is half filled.
- Cover loosely with cling wrap and let it rise for 30 mins.
- Glaze generously and bake in a preheated oven at 205 degrees for about 10 minutes till golden.
Serve warm with a few slices of butter, salami, warm honey or really just anything you fancy! The rolls stays gorgeous even the next day after a quick spin in the microwave.