This apple pie is so so yummy that i made it twice in one week! Nothing beats a warm apple pie served with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. The pastry is really really delicious but the only downside about it is the amount the butter in it. it is really FULL BUTTER. I’d better watch out for our diet, considering Benny finishes the whole pie in one night.
The apple fillings was so easy to make and turned out beautiful. It is officially the easiest way to make the fillings and anyone should give it a chance. It was a great combination of everything in the pie!! And nothing beats a warm apple pie topped with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream
The pastry is full of flavour and has the perfect texture. I will alternate this with the other shortcrust pastry i posted earlier depending on what dish i am going to make. I would describe this as a softer and more buttery texture and the other is more flaky and cripsy. I would recomment this pastry for sweet pies, while the other for savoury pies. The recipe for this pastry is enough to make 2 apples pies. For me, i made a pot pie for the main course and an apple pie for dessert.
Apple Pie Crumble and All Butter Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 230g frozen butter, grated
- Pinch of salt ( i dont use salt in my pastries though)
- Cold Milk (as needed)
- 4 Granny Smith Green Apples, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cups caster sugar
- Ground Cinammon (according to preference)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 30-40g butter, softened
- To make the pastry, sift flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Start rubbing the butter into the flour, until fully incorporated. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time and knead. Grab a fistful of dough and press them together, when it come sticking together, it is ready. Do not put too much milk. Form a ball with the dough, wrap tightly with cling wrap and chill for 30 -40 mins.
- Combine the ingredients for the apple fillings in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until juices run.
- To make the crumble, combine the flour with brown sugar and rub the soft butter into the flour mixture until its resembles bread crumbs
- Roll out the pastry dough into your desired thickness, and fit into a well greased pie tin. Trim the excess dough with a pair of floured scissors.
- Arrange apple fillings neatly on top of your pastry
- Sprinkle the crumble over the assembled pie
- Bake at 220 degrees for about 20- 25 minutes till golden brown
Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some whip cream.