I made my first pie ever! I was really excited that whole night after baking it, its a great feeling for me to bake pies and pizzas cause those 2 are the coomfort food loving wives and mothers likes to bake in movies. It makes me feel like one when i have my pizza nights every once a week, and now we are gonna have pie nights! ❤
Be it savoury or sweet pies, i think this is a really good pastry for all kinds of pies. Having tried shortcrust pastry, i would be looking forward to making flaky puff pastry pies soon!
Buttery Shortcrust Pastry recipe
- 2 cups plain flour
- 100g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup milk + more accordingly
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl
- Rub butter into flour, cube by cube until it is fully incorporated into the flour, it should look crumbly when u used up all the butter
- Add in milk into the flour mixture and start kneading. You definitely need more milk, add one teaspoon at a time until a dough starts to form
- Transfer dough onto a clean, well dusted surface and knead well for about 10 minutes till you obtain a smooth dough. You might need a little more milk along the way. The dough should be smooth, comes together well and do not stick to your hands at all
- Form a ball with the fough and wrap with cling wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before use.
- When rolling out the dough, ensure that working surface and rolling pin is well dusted. Roll to about 1/4 inch and you may cut your dough according to the size and shape of your pie tin