Right after the prata and curry fever, i was hoping to make some chinese food. I remember having 葱油饼 once at geylang (the 24hr store that sells soy milk and you char kway) and it was really yummy. I have a thing for crispy snacks! Well i have an impulse to make this one day but realised i don’t have any spring onions. i went ahead making it anyway as spring onions is optional in my opinion. I do like it alot without spring onions!
One good thing that came out of this try-out is that with ben’s help, i have learned how to make oblong dough! I have since tried it in my roti pratas and i can finally make round, spiral flakes pratas! This is an excellent snack for whatever time of the day and i really think everyone should try making it!
Chinese Pancake Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (for yeast mixture)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- Sesame oil
- Mix sugar into the water in a bowl. Sprinkle yeast into the mixture and leave to stand for abut 10 minutes till foamy.
- Mix flour with salt and seperate into two portions
- Add half of the flour into the yeast mixture
- In a seperate bowl, slowly add boiling water into the other half portion of flour while stirring constantly
- Combine both the dough, adding some oil and knead till you get a smooth and elastic dough
- Cover and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour
- Divde dough into small balls, about the size of a chinese soup spoon
- On a floured surface, roll out the ball into a thin, flat dough
- Brush a layer of sesame oil and start rolling into an oblong
- Flatten the oblong evenly and thinly
- Pan fry on both sides till golden brown (more oil is required if you want a more crispy texture)